Friday, January 6, 2012

Introductions...

I realized a few months ago that my faith had become really stale. God used something in our life group to remind me of how excited I used to be about His purpose for me.  Ever since then He has been doing something really fresh with my faith.  A few weeks into it the question that I couldn't escape was, "Whats my next step?"  Proverbs 16:9 has always been a life verse for me, "In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."  So here I am with the hopes--with the need--that God will make Himself known to me and determine my steps.

Having observed that God had broken into my life a few months ago I began to reflect with the Lord what He might have for me.  My wife and I fasted, asking in prayer for God to show himself to me.  (The last time we fasted together God called me to counseling.)  I began discussing with other people what steps God might have for me.  Eventually, I began to sense a plan that the Lord was laying out for me.  Right now the plan is still very hazy, but I can see the next place where He wants me to set my foot.  This blog is one of those steps (among a few other avenues that I am pursuing).

I am a newcomer to the age of technology (I'm still not on Facebook, let alone Twitter).  So don't expect much from the layout; heck, my profile may never even get filled in.  No interesting text usages (I might use Comic Sans once to spite some of you haters out there, haha), no cool pictures.  This blog for me is one of the most practical of sorts: I needed to have a place where people could read what I write without me having to print off a bunch of 8.5x11 sheets of paper and hand them out.  Also, from the measly 20 minutes of research I have done on "how to start a blog" I think I have received the impression that a blog is supposed to be updated daily, or at least weekly.  My intention is to write one entry per month, and test drive this writing thing from which I have received some affirmation with in the past.  I like to put a lot of quality into one piece of writing, rather than just write a lot. 

What to expect...
That isn't completely decided right now.  A big part of the purpose of this is to see what I enjoy writing about and to try to find a style of writing that suits me.  To that end I'm not really committing to anything in particular.  I'm sure along the way I will have some pieces on marriage, my parenting perspective as a stay at home dad, or anything involving the Christian life that I become inspired about.  I think typically you will find something similar to this first entry.  I really enjoyed creating the flow of this piece, working to craft each sentence and trying to find just the right word or visual image.  I hope you enjoy my first entry.  It really was a time of worship for me every time I sat down at the computer (maybe less so when the kids would become distracting, haha).  I have felt absolutely elated and fulfilled as I have written it.  Please feel free to comment on my writing pieces...if there is a line or word that sticks out to you, if you liked the way I phrased something, or if you may have phrased it a little different.  Please let me hear your constructive criticism as well since I intend for this to be a growing experience for me.  And finally, if what I'm writing connects with you then please pass this blog onto others who you think would enjoy following it as well.  Many Blessings!

1 comment:

  1. Sweetheart, I am so proud of you!! The Lord has truly gifted you with the gift of writing and I know that He will bless others with it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete